Prof.dr.ir. Mascha van der Voort
Prof.dr.ir. Mascha C. van der Voort (1974) is professor in Human Centred Design at the Faculty of Engineering Technology TU Twente.
About Mascha van der Voort
A human-centred approach is at the heart of her vision on product and service design. Increasing complexity and diversity in both functionality and use circumstances of products ask for acknowledgement of the use related expertise of stakeholders. Active involvement of a wide range of stakeholders is therefore key to a human centred design process. To improve user-product interaction the Human Centred Design chair focuses on the development of design methods and tools that support designers in iteratively:
- eliciting actual user needs
- sharing use and user related knowledge within their design team
- incorporating the embodied contextual experience of stakeholders in the design process
- acknowledging the use related expertise of stakeholders and actively involving them in the elicitation and design process
- designing products that meet user needs and expectations
Human Centred Design
The Human Centred Design chair develops scenario-based and participatory design approaches that facilitate level, cross-disciplinary knowledge exchange between stakeholders and the design team. Workshops, gaming, virtual reality and collaborative prototyping are techniques frequently applied as part of these design supports.
We continuously explore new technologies that advance stakeholder involvement and user-product interaction. Areas of application range from the design of intelligent consumer products to driver support tools and medical appliances, work processes and spaces.To ground our research we collaborate closely with partners in industry and society.
Concurrently, Mascha teaches subjects related to user-centered and scenario-based design, human factors and research methods within the Industrial Design Engineering Bachelor and Master educational programs of the University of Twente
- 1992 – 2001 University of Twente, Master’s degree and Ph. D. in Civil Engineering, Traffic & Transportation, Driver Behaviour & Driving Support Tools.
- 2015 University of Twente, Professor Human Centred Design
- 2013 – 2015 Invocate, Consultant & Partner of Invocate
- 2008 – 2015 University of Twente, Associate Professor Use Anticipation in Product Design
- 2001 – 2008 University of Twente, Assistant Professor Scenario Based Product Design
- 1996 – 2001 University of Twente, Researcher
Links to projects and researches
Research Group :
User-centered Design, Product Design, Scenario Based Product Design