dr. (W.G.J.H.M.) Wilfried van Sark
Dr. Wilfried van Sark is an expert in Plasma Chemical Vapour Deposition, both rf and Very-High Frequency. After an assistant professor position at Nijmegen University, where he worked on III-V solar cells, he returned to Utrecht University, with a focus on (single molecule) confocal fluorescence microscopy of nano-crystals.
He graduated from Utrecht University, the Netherlands, with a M.Sc. in Experimental Physics in 1985, with a M.Sc. thesis on measurement and analysis of I-V characteristics of c-Si cells.
He received his Ph.D. from Nijmegen University, the Netherlands; the topic of his Ph.D. thesis was III-V solar cell development, modeling and processing.
He then spent 7 years as a post-doc/senior researcher at Utrecht University and specialized in a-Si:H cell deposition and analysis.
Wilfried van Sark Career
- In 2002 he moved to a position as assistant professor at the research group Science, Technology and Society of the Copernicus at Utrecht University, the Netherlands. Since 2012 this group moved to the Geoscience faculty and was renamed Energy & Resources, and he was appointed Associate Professor in 2014.
- He performs and coordinates research on in a wide area related to photovoltaics: 1) next generation photovoltaic devices incorporating nanocrystals, e.g., luminescent solar concentrators, 2) photovoltaic performance analysis, 3) building integration, 4) smart grid development, 5) socioeconomic and environmental analysis.
- He is member of the Editorial Board of Elsevier’s scientific journal “Renewable Energy”, and member of various organizing committees of EU, IEEE, and SPIE PV conferences.
- He is author or co-author of over 200 peer-reviewed journal and conference paper publications and book chapters. He has (co-)edited four books.
- 1985 – 1989 Radboud Universiteit Nijmegen, Ph. D. in Psyhics, Photovoltaics
- 1977 – 1985 Utrecht University, Master’s degree in Physics (experimental), Photovoltaics
- 2015 TKI-Solar, Member of the board
- 2014 Utrecht University, Associate professor
- 2002 – 2013 Utrecht University, Assistant professor
- 1999 – 2002 Utrecht University, Senior Scientist
- 1996 – 1999 Radboud University Nijmegen, Assistant professor
- 1989 – 1996 Utrecht University, Postdoc / Senior Scientist
Links to projects and researches
Research Group :
Energy and Resources
Photovoltaics research, system performance, smart grid development, building integrated photovoltaics, next generation photovoltaics and nanocrystals